Comes the Dark - Celia Ashley
This reminds me of another book I've read or maybe it's a movie I've seen, but I can't think of its title. I'm not going to worry my brain over that now. The story is interesting and the characters are reasonably well written. We aren't allowed into their backgrounds too deeply, but they do come alive with what we're given. The magic is all cerebral. Very low key with no flash. A lot of things happen at night. It gets to feels very dark, both the setting and the mood. The author does very well using night as a reference to affect the ambiance, to bring in the murky doom and gloom feeling as the story goes along. No one gets much sleep in this book.

Things move along quite rapidly in the story. Maybe sometimes a bit too fast. Sometimes it's nice to stop and smell the roses or describe the standing stones in a bit more detail to create a bit of ambiance. The author really doesn't waste many words setting the stage or creating a mood. It's pretty much all dialog and action, and I'm a girl who likes a bit of atmosphere with her magic, terror, and romance. If there had been a bit more to the book in the way of setting, it would have appealed to me so much more. Her childhood home. The standing stones. The underground room at the lighthouse. What do these look like. Knowing what it all looked like would have added so much to the book. So, I have to give this a three-star rating for lack of a bit of description. Yet I must give the author full credit for creating the moods she did with her use of night. So well done. If you like a good story with lots of drama and action tossed in on your fated romance as you stumble blindly in the dark, this could be a book for you.

This book was provided to me by NetGalley in exchange for an honest rating. I am not being compensated in any way. All opinions are fully my own.
~ Judi E. Easley