Gilded Cage - Vic  James
My Review:
This book was intense. The world was an alternate England, and very well done. The magic was creepy and dangerous. None of it seemed to be for anything good. This is a society that requires the people without the magic to do ten years of slave labor under horrendous conditions. Luke finds the conditions terrible, but makes friends and ends up helping run a rebellion to overturn the government. He just doesn't know who he's hooked up with until it's too late. Can he come out of this alive?

Ali thinks the great family's estate is the best bet for her family. So, even though they've lost Luke, she's trying her best to take care of the rest of the family. But things aren't as she expected and strange things start happening as soon as they get settled into their cottage. She's trying her best, but she doesn't know who to trust. Has she trusted the wrong person? Is the family in danger?

Well written, especially for a debut novel. I'll be interested to see what the next one looks like.

I was provided a digital copy of this book by Del Rey and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I am not being compensated in any way. All opinions are fully my own.
~ Judi E. Easley