Hers to Heal - Vonnie Davis
I do realize that in a novel people need to heal fairly quickly so that the story can go forward. However, it is so misleading to portray PTSD as being "cured" or even eased in just one or two sessions with a counselor. PTSD is something that effects soldiers for years, for a lifetime, unto death. While counseling can help those suffering with PTSD, often the first major hurdle is to get the patient to agree that he/she needs treatment, that they have anything that needs treating. Those with PTSD will often tell you that they are fine, there is nothing wrong with them, they are coping just fine and readapting to civilian life just fine.

To see PTSD handled as it was in this book is grossly misleading and belittles what those who suffer with it must go through to return to some sort of regular life following combat with or without imprisonment or military sexual trauma. When you take on such a subject, you should be ready to deal with it properly or leave it alone. The tone of this book was in no way dark enough to portray the subject properly and so came off as being a lightweight overall.

I was provided a digital copy of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I am not being compensated in any way. All opinions are fully my own.
~Judi E. Easley