Necessary Evil - Jamie K. Schmidt
This was pretty Good! I haven't really read a lot of legal romances, so this was a change for me. I'll have a full review coming along soon.

My Review:
I gave this a four-star rating right after I read it. Then I had to reread it when I got ready to review it. But I wasn't able to review it until now, about a week later, and I still had to reread the summary and think about it to remember the book well enough to review it. What does that say about the book? Well, I usually don't have to reread a book to review it, even after several weeks, so I guess this one just didn't stand out and maybe I should reconsider that fourth star. For now, I'm letting it stand, because I do remember the feeling I had when I was done with the book. It was emotional at the end.
Ms. Schmidt is really good with the emotion. Throughout the book, she drew emotion from me in response to the characters. When it was fight or flight in the dark parking lot in the first scene, my heart was pounding. When it was hot and steamy in the club, my heart was really pounding and I needed a cold drink! Towards the end, I was much more likely to need a cup of tea and a tissue, it was so sad in places. Ms. Schmidt would build the tension and then you'd think it was over and then it would build again until you'd think things just couldn't get any worse. Or any better. I was ready to burst my skin!
So why was this book so forgettable? I'm really not sure. It seems like when I look back at it, everything happened in dark rooms or parking lots. But really it didn't. That's just what stayed with me. Dark and murky. And I really can't tell you why. They both had a great deal of passion for their chosen work and yet it was destroying them both. They were a hot and heavy couple, but I don't know as I felt there was really any deep feeling between them. Like the difference between real life and a play. I guess I'll have to say this is an emotional four-star, but really a three-star review. You should read this book because it is an emotional rollercoaster ride of action and great tension. I'd be interested in hearing what you're left with when you're done with it.
I was provided with a copy of this book by Loveswept and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I am not being compensated in any way. All opinions are fully my own.
~ Judi E. Easley